You’re wanting to promote a fundraiser on social media, spreading the word to your supporters and community. Social media is ideal for this, whether your organisation is a school, a charity or a sports club because:
- It is free to use social media
- Most people have at least one account and use it regularly
- It can reach a wide area and number of people
To help you successfully promote your fundraising event or activity using social media, we’ve put together a few tips for you.
How to Promote a Fundraiser Using Social Media
Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms are like the name says, social places. It’s where we go to find out what others are doing and share information about ourselves. Businesses use social media to grow loyalty and engagement amongst their audience, and many community organisations, charities and schools do the same.
Social media can also be used to promote a specific activity or event to an audience, including a fundraiser. To get great results, here are a few tips to help you:
- Use the same platforms that your audience use, which generally means Facebook and Instagram.
- Create a posting plan, which includes details such as what will be posted and when, the message you want to get across and what you want people to do when they see it. Your fundraising strategy might actually say the things you can and can’t include in your posts, so be sure to check it first.
- Use lots of visual graphics. Photos of the products you are fundraising with or the people your fundraiser will benefit are great. Using software such as Canva can help you create graphics which use images and text.
- Ask supporters to share your posts with their friends, family and groups they are in.
- Create a hashtag for your fundraiser and start using it before it begins. Hashtags can be added by your supporters onto their posts as well as searched for by others.
- Ask supporters to comment and like your posts as this helps increase the number of people they will reach due to the platform’s algorithm.
- Offer regular updates on your fundraising progress. This could include number of orders, a tally of donations and how much time is left till the fundraiser is finished. Be sure to include contact details so people know where to go to learn more information.
Take a look at other fundraising articles for further ideas on how to promote a fundraiser, and get in touch if we can help you in any way!